Currently, over 50% of the world’s population lives in urban areas which is billions of people. There are many people of this population who would love to grow a garden but believe that they are unable to because of their living situation. This is not the case. Even though you may have small space, there is room to fit a garden with some investment and some creativity. There are ways to create beautiful gardens in and around your city apartment.
Even though it may seem impossible to fit any sort of garden in and around your apartment, this is not the case. There are a lot of places to put your plants than you even realize.
- If you have an apartment with a balcony or fire escape, these are perfect spots. They are good spots since they have great access to sun and fresh rain. They are also great spaces to utilize because they won’t take up the space inside your small apartment. They are also easily accessed so that certain plants can be easily moved into the house during the winter months.
- If you live in a ground floor apartment you may be lucky. Ask your landlord or property manager first but you could utilize any small plot of dirt in the front or on the side of the building. These may be small plots, but they are great spaces and can add some great greenery to help to break up the look of the sprawling urban jungle. Any greenery you can bring into the city will be welcomed.
- There are plenty of corners and walls in your house. There are ways to create hanging gardens and garden racks right inside your apartment. These are great spaces to utilize because in an apartment, especially in a city, you have to maximize the space that you have to work with.
- Another option is to put it on the roof. You have to ask the permission of the proper person, but the roof is perfect. This could give you the ability to have a very nice garden and even expand it as your skills fine tune and you want to explore with different species. If you can use the roof, there are a ton of options for you to create a beautiful garden in the middle of the concrete jungle.
- Windowsills are also a great place to put small plant beds that will give them access to natural sunlight and rain. They are also great decorations to brighten up any room in your house. You can use the windowsills throughout the apartment and not just the ones in the kitchen. You can use the window sills in the bedrooms, living room, and even the bathroom.
Types of Plants
There are certain species of plants that can do well in this environment. This may be the part where you will have to some research, so you can figure out which plants will do well indoors. There are various species of flowers, herbs, vegetables, and fruits that you can grow inside with great success. Take you time and figure out the right ones and the ones that you will enjoy the most. It may take some time, but by doing the research you can maximize your success with apartment garden.
Regardless of where you are growing your garden there are definitely supplies that you will need in order to manage and nurture your garden. Especially when you are growing a garden in your apartment, you may need to get creative with the supplies that you are going to need to invest in. This is where you may need to get creative with how to hold your plants. Pintrest is a great place to start for some great ideas.
- You will definitely need pots for certain plant species. Make sure that you take into account the location that you are going to place them. You can buy larger ones if you have the ability to put your garden on the balcony or fire escape.
- There are also great racks and miniature greenhouses that you can find in stores like Walmart or online. These are perfect for inside your apartment or out on the balcony. It also gives you the ability to hold more plants one the various shelves. They can become a great centerpiece for any room in your apartment.
- If you have to grow your plants inside, you will probably need a lighting system. These systems will give your plants the artificial sunlight inside that they would naturally get outside. Lumi Growth is a great website that will give you a great lighting system for your indoor apartment.
- You will then need the dirt and seeds that are a given. A trip to the local hardware store, Walmart, or even online will give you easy access to all this stuff.
- You will also need basic gardening tools, so you can easily maintain your garden. Gloves, twine (for the types of plants that will climb and wrap around spindles and stakes), trowel, pruning shears, and scissors are some of the basic tools you will need. Because you are creating a smaller garden, the tools that you may need are very minimal.
The apartment garden is not as far-fetched of an idea as many people think it is. There are ways to do it, but you may need to get creative. Taking the time to create this garden will provide a lot of benefits for you such as food, relaxation, and air purification. Even if you aren’t sure it is definitely worth looking into.